Saturday, July 3, 2010

Six a.m. Saturday

So my friends Penny & Gina asked me to run with them this morning. I kinda had a bad running week this past week so I was a little anxious to venture out with the girls - afraid I would have to walk, or quit early, or cry like a big baby. But I always seem to do better on a run when I'm with these girls, so I decided to go ahead. We agreed to meet at 6am & run 1 hour. For a 6am run I like to get up at least by 5:15 to have coffee, eat a little something, etc. I woke up at 5:40....takes me 15 minutes to get to our meeting place....yeah, not a great way to start a run! I almost called and backed out, but I knew I would regret not going....so I rushed around and made it on time.

I'm kinda having a mental thing going on right now when it comes to running - trying to get back what I've lost is hard. But I knew a good run with my friends would cure me. And it did :) With these ladies there's never any drama, there isn't a competitive bone in either of them, and they are super supportive. They don't care how fast I can go (or how slow), if we have to walk, etc. Penny is so great about setting her alarm for every 10 minutes, to remind us to take a little drink :) She takes care of us.

I was really struggling about a mile in (the first mile is always my worst!) and they were awesome to just let me walk for a little bit. After about mile 3 I settled down, and we were going along at a comfortable pace. I know they could have gone faster, but that's the coolest thing about my friends - every run doesn't have to be the best run of their life - they were happy to just be running, and happy that I was along with them. Those are some cool chicks.

So just like that, I ran an hour and felt great. This running thing....you can have an awful run, enough to make you want to throw your shoes in the pond, and then a good one comes along and you're sucked right back in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment