Sorry no pics on this one, just a long rambling mess!
What a crazy few weeks I've had! I think I've had just about every emotion possible when it comes to training. I had a super awful 12 mile run a few weeks back. I mean, wow man, it was horrible.
If it wasn't for my girlies pushing me along and the fact that we were way out of town....I would have packed it in at mile 6. I honestly don't remember ever having a run that bad. It was 97% humidity - which probably had something to do with it - but it was mostly awful because I had a bad work week, was super stressed, ate horribly and had an overall bad attitude. So bad in fact that even a run couldn't cure that one! WoW. Now that's bad!
After that horrific run, I took a week off. Yep. A whole 7 days without running. 4 weeks out from 1/2 marathon and just like that - I took a whole week off.
I was questioning my endurance, questioning why I wanted to do this in the first place, sick of spending so much time running, sick of getting up at 4:15 am in order to fit my run into my day, sick of spending every Saturday limping down the stairs, sick of using the whole day Sunday to recoop.....yep, overall sick of everything!
As the days ticked by, I kept getting more and more worried about the miles I was missing by completely skipping week 8 of training. But not worried enough to make myself run. It was weird - I've never, ever had such a bad attitude about running. I mean, I voluntarily went through knee surgery & 12 weeks of rehab just so I could do this!
So. It was approaching the weekend and I knew what I had to do. It was my last chance to run long before it was time to taper. I don't know a ton about training, but I do know that trying to make up miles when you're in your tapering weeks is a big NO NO.
My hubs took me out for pasta Thursday night, and I took Friday morning off from work to fit my last long run in. Oh did I mention it would be my longest run ever? And I was goin' it alone. It was time to suck it up, get my head on straight and figure out once and for all if I was going to finish out this training or quit.
After no running for a week, I planned a 14 miler - by myself. I just couldn't let that awful 12 miler be my final long run before the race. It was in my head - BAD - and I knew I had to give it one more shot or it would mess with my race day.
Well, my body must have been telling me it needed rest. My longest run ever was probably my very best training run this whole season!
I set out on a beautiful fall morning, stashed water at the 7 mile mark, and off I went. Friends are awesome to run with and a great distraction, but it's amazing how in tune I was to how I was feeling when I wasn't chattin' it up the whole run! I remembered to eat shots before I needed to & I remembered to stretch my knee out....things I usually don't remember to do.
I felt awesome all the way until about mile 13. I was ready to be done....my quads were talking (loudly!) and I was still a mile from home. I wanted to walk it. But who walks the LAST mile?! Couldn't do that. Thank goodness for Bon Jovi singing me home.
15 minute ice bath and off to work for the rest of the day. I was tired....very tired that afternoon, but somehow I made it without falling asleep at my desk!
And now....it's a one way ticket on the taper train. Oh yeah! Kansas City here I come! I'm ready :) You'll have to wait for my next post to hear me obsess about what pace group I should run with. Oh brother, that's a whole 'nother story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Hi Suzy!
ReplyDeleteOn the pickle juice. Most recommended!! It totally helps w/water retention & cramping!! [yay]!
I'd do whatever works for you. If you hate gu. Don't do it. Not worth it. My practices are a little unique [compared to most runners] but it works for me .... And really, that's all that matters, right?!
You're awesome!!
Run on!!
It is good for a newbie (like me) to hear that even people who LOVE running and are good at it, still have "off" weeks.
ReplyDeleteI didn't run for a week either. And I kicked myself the whole time. But I am back in the swing of it now.
I signed up for the Homecoming 5k with another new runner. See you there, perhaps? Or is that the same weekend as your half?
Anyway, you motivate and inspire me - even when you take a week off. :)
Aw, I'm so glad you listened to your body and gave it just what it needed!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your last long run went well! Yay! Even though you were tired at the end, you kept going and finished strong! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like your body needed the rest...yay for a good final long run! You'll rock that half :) Good Luck!
ReplyDelete