My blog used to be called Countdown to 13.1, because at the time I started this blog the 1/2 marathon was my ultimate goal. I never in a gazillion years thought I would ever want to go farther than that.
Two 1/2 marathons later, I started wondering .... hmmm .... what now? Do I dare even *think* about a full? It's twice as far. Come on, it's twice as far! Reading the training schedule itself is enough to send me to bed exhausted. In the middle of the KC 1/2 last weekend a full was going through my mind....I believe it was followed with a HELL NO. NEVER.
But a friend and I decided that we would do it together, Chicago 2011. Seemed like a great 'do it before I'm 40' goal. So at that time I changed my blog name to Countdown to 26.2. I saw that as my new ultimate goal - even though I knew it would be a whole year until I reached it. But now Chicago 2011 is no longer in my plans.
I honestly never thought another person would ever even read this blog when I started it. But I have gotten a few comments about the title - because I have never taken on the 26.2. It's not like I was trying to fool anyone by naming my blog Countdown to 26.2. At this point I don't know if I ever will run a full marathon. That doesn't make my 13.1 any less awesome.
So, I decided to change the title, because for now, I'm 'Happy with 13.1'.





Love it!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally with you! I think 13.1 is AMAZING...my first half is in 3 days and I'm thinking that it truly will be amazing if I manage to pull it off! 13.1 is far and the training schedule requires a pretty big commitment. I've seen some marathon training schedules that make me want to cry. Maybe some day, but right now all I want to do is get my first half over with so I can take a break for a little while because I'm TIRED. Kudos to those who can do marathons! Truly. But I don't think you're any less awesome because you're a half-marathoner. In fact, reading your blog is part of what inspired me to sign up for my own! So thanks.
ReplyDeleteJennifer
wwww.iamabeginnerrunner.blogspot.com
I love your blog no matter the title. And don't ever let anyone discredit your 13.1. It's hardcore. Lots of people will never accomplish that. And you so don't need a 26.2 sticker to be a real runner. I'm excited to see what the future holds for you!
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog title was awesome! 13.1 is a long fricking ways, many people will never accomplish that in their entire lives, and you have accomplished it several times already.
ReplyDelete26.2 is horrifically long! I can honestly say after doing a full a 1/2 is MUCH more enjoyable and the training is much easier on your body and family time. :) Tell those people that have negative things to say to stuff it. You want to run for life and if that means running 1/2s and not fulls, so be it! Be proud!
Hey 13.1 is awesome--they still scare the crap out of me.
ReplyDeleteLove it!! Very nice :o) And you should be THRILLED with 13.1!!
ReplyDelete13.1 is pretty incredible!
ReplyDeleteYou are too cute!
ReplyDeleteYou know, the only thing I can think of that's cooler than mustering the strength, will, and commitment to run 13.1 miles is allowing yourself to be content with it. I mean, when it comes down to it, doing what you enjoy is its own reward. Arbitrary distance and performance goals,imho, can be a huge buzz kill....
ReplyDeleteI am terrified for my first full. I gotta say I absolutely love the half. 26.2? Dunno yet. It's good to have goals but be happy with what you LIKE to do not what you feel like you SHOULD do. :)
ReplyDelete