Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Smoothie Talk

There are a few things I love about this blogging thing.  1. Being able to share with you things I have learned.  2. Giving you guys a chance to win some stuff.  3. Advice & support from all of you :)

Today, lets talk smoothies.  Smoothies are a great way to start the day & easy to take with you while you're running out the door.

But people, if you are buying smoothies out in public ... BEWARE.  I have searched the world over for a healthy smoothie (ok not really the world, just the town I live in), & I'm telling you that finding a 'real' fruit smoothie is tough.  The gym I used to go to was the only place I trusted.

Unless you see someone back there actually cutting up a banana for you, chances are it's a smoothie mix they are using.  Can it contain real fruit?  Sure.  But that isn't fresh real fruit in my book & it probably has some ice cream in there too.  Or frozen 'yogurt' as they call it.  Just watch out.  A smoothie from Sonic, McDonalds or Burger King?  Don't do it.  Actually, just drive right on past those places.  Nothing good can come of it.  Nothing I tell you!  :)

Side note ...  Now listen.  Don't misunderstand me here.  If you are stuck at McDonalds you are still better off ordering a smoothie than having a big as your face order of fries.

Back to smoothies.  Let's just save the $5 & make those little babies at home.

Step one.  Get a decent blender.  If you need to chop ice, it's best to have a good one or you'll get little ice pieces in your smoothie.  I prefer mine, well, smooth!  I have a smoothie maker (I like blending soups in it too).  If you can afford a Vitamix, then invest - but know I will be jealous of you.

Please note....smoothies can be calorie killers.  Watch what you put in there - you could be drinking 400 calories.  That's 4 miles on the tready.  EEEK.  If they are replacing your meal, 400 is fine though!

If you make your own smoothies, share your recipies :)

Here's a few of mine:



PB2 / Banana
2 tbl PB2 (This is peanut butter in a powder form.  Way less calorie than the oily stuff)

1 banana (I peel, cut & freeze mine.  The 4 yr old in my house calls those banana cubes)

4-5 ice cubes (experiment here - if your bananas are frozen you won't need as many ice cubes, if any at all)

1 tbl ground flaxseed

Enough milk to get it all blendy.  You can also use Almond milk, but I use regular skim.

Add just a bit of milk at the beginning.  You'll know when to add more.  I end up using probably 1/2 cup of milk.

I prefer a packet of splenda in there too.  Just to sweeten it up.  Try it without it first, you may not even need it. You can also add your favorite protein powder in there.

**They have PB2 in chocolate form too.  Buy them both & mix a little chocolate in there if you wanna.  This smoothie is yummy, has good protein & flax for all kinds of health benefits.  YUMM!

Real Fruit Smoothies
This one is my go-to. I have no real measurements here.... that's the great thing about smoothies - just throw some stuff in!  If you can catch fruit on sale, stock up & freeze it. If you live in Kansas where blueberries are $5 a handful right now, go ahead & buy the frozen stuff.

Frozen fruit of your choice - banana, strawberries, blueberries, mango, pineapple.  I put a little of all of those in there, usually I use a whole banana though. 

A handful of fresh spinach leaves (I promise you can't even taste it!)

1 tbl ground flaxseed

Yogurt (if you want - usually I leave it out to save the calories & really don't miss it.  It does make it creamier though)

A little juice to get it blending.  I use as little as possible due to the calories in juice, but any juice works.  We prefer orange juice - it makes it tangy & just gooood.

Blend it all up adding more juice as you need it.  You have just gotten your daily fruit intake, a veggie & flax too. BOOM.



5 comments:

  1. I can only do smoothies in the summer. I'll definitely try the PB2/banana one then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I get mine at the local HyVee grocery store - any health food store should have it, or most grocery stores in their organic food section. Or you can order online too :)

      Delete
    2. I get my PB2 at amazon I get a 2 pack..the regular and the chocolate :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this. I just ordered a new blender...the ninja :) with this very thing (more smoothies) in mind!

    ReplyDelete