ahhhh....Saturday. Maybe my very favorite day of the week. Not because of the usual things people love Saturdays for - no work, sleeping in - but because Saturday means I have time to run long.
I'm in full swing of 1/2 marathon training now, so I've been focusing during the week on the shorter, faster runs - trying to build my speed a bit. GAWH I hate those. Mostly because I've been stuck on the treadmill, but speed work in general sucks. I'm pretty convinced that I'm not built to ever be much faster than I already am....but I will keep trying!
Saturday long run is a much different run. I get to slow it down a bit, not focus on speed, zone out to my tunes and take it easy. I have tons of 'think' time, which I love.
I come up with all kinds of things to blog about on those runs, but I'll pick one for today.
When I first started running, I was about 45 pounds heavier, didn't own a single piece of dri fit clothing (or even knew what it was), & I ran around the old track at my gym just because I knew noone ever used it. I could run without anyone seeing me. Funny how I thought you should be completely fit & skinny before showing your face in the gym! Ummm, isn't that what the gym is for??? How silly.
Here's my experience at the gym yesterday.
I'm on the treadmill....for 1 hr, 40 min. Plenty of time to see lots of people come & go. We have two rows of treadmills & I always take the back. Ok there is still some vanity there (the back row means less people to see your butt shake when you run!).
A woman got on a treadmill right in front of me - heavy set woman, & started to walk. Shortly after I see her take it up to a jog, then a walk, then a jog....of course that looks just like the Couch to 5K plan to me, & I right away want to see if that's what she's doing.
If you know me, you are not surprised here, I will attempt to convert anyone I know into running - even if they really don't want to. Of course I go talk to her. She was in fact working on the Couch to 5K plan & Saturday was her 2nd week. We talked for awhile, then I let her get back to her workout & I to mine. I know how much time she had left in her workout.....
In walks 3 completely hot girls in those little boy shorts, full on makeup, tan, legs as long as my whole body....you couldn't help but notice them. They pop on the treadmill right next to this lady in front of me. But not before stretching right out in front of the whole gym. (um, ok, if I had an ass like that, I'd probably bend it over in front of the whole gym too...)
They get right onto the treadmill & start a warm up at what looks to be a comfortable pace for them. You know, just jogging along leisurely & chatting. Since I am behind them I can clearly see their pace. This leisurely warm up was at 7.0.
Now, let me tell you that I know who one of these girls is - she is a body builder - so I secretly was thinking when she hopped on the treadmill that there was no way she was a runner too.....but an 8:30 pace for a warmup? Yeah, thinking she's a runner too.
Then....she kicks that up to 10.5. That's a 5:40 pace. Then to 12. Yeah, that's a 5:00 pace. Holy crap, this woman is now running twice as fast as me.
I was jealous, felt like I needed to pick up my pace some - but only for one second - then I knocked it back down again. I was there to run 10 miles slow & easy....I wasn't going to mess that up.
But the sad thing is, the lady I had talked to earlier, turned off her treadmill & left. I know she wasn't done with her workout. I know why she gave up yesterday. I've been her & I felt sad for her. I truly hope to see her again at the gym.
Long story to get to my point of the post.
It's really hard not to compare ourselves to others. VERY hard. I used to do it. ALOT. From that time in my life I can tell you that comparing yourself to anyone else is the most unproductive use of your time & energy. I will never be taller than a 28" inseam. And you know, I'm ok with that :)
When I feel myself going there - like yesterday - I do two things.
First, think of what I would say to my little sweet one if she came to me with thoughts like this. I would NEVER let her feel inadequate to another girl.
Second, I try my hardest to acknowledge the work that other person has had to do to get to that point. That girl is at the gym every single time I am there. I know you don't get an ass like that eating pizza & drinking beer. She worked hard & for a long time. Those abs didn't happen overnight.
This post is a reminder for me, & for my friend(you know who you are!)
The best advice I could ever give you is to celebrate your accomplishments for what they are. YOURS. On this running journey, you will find out more about yourself than you ever thought possible. This is YOUR path that you are making for yourself. You can't worry about who's faster than you, who's slower than you, who has a smaller butt than you.
Oh & plus, that chick was only on the tready for about 10 minutes. I was there for an hour & 40 min. :) ooops, there I go again!
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





What a great post!! I don't play the comparison game very often anymore - a few years ago I made a real focused effort to stop myself because I would only compare with people better than me. Which of course left me feeling bad. Silly.
ReplyDeleteI sure hope that Cto5K girl comes back to the gym!!
This is a great post, thanks! Jealousy is an ugly thing, especially because people have their own struggles and sacrifices to make for what they have. I find that most times people are happy to share how they get to where they are if I just ask. I can learn a lot that way, instead of just beating myself up for not being where they are or berating them in my head.
ReplyDeleteOne of the many reasons I love running is because it is an individual sport. And people of all shapes and sizes can run, it is just having the mind set to take that first step.
ReplyDeleteLoved this post.
Thanks for the reminder! It's a great lesson to get a hold on and hang on to... I hope she comes back too.
ReplyDeleteI, too, loved this post! I am not a competitive person much. But I do have to say that when I am in a race and I pass someone younger (or thinner) than I am, I feel super-proud of myself.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I am equally, if not more so, proud of the people who are OLDER or HEAVIER than I am that pass me!
Runners are good people - and you are one of the best. I hope the C25K lady finds herself in the gym with you again sometime. You are so inspirational and can convince anyone they can do it!
Really nice post and great reminders....comparing is so easy to slip into, and then you can always find someone you feel inferior to.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're so right, it's about the journey and our own individual accomplishments.
I love this! It took me a long time to realize that the only one I really needed to compete with was myself! And is WAS a long time before I worked up the courage to run where anyone would see me, much less enter a race! But now I just worry about improving myself and can happily cheer on those who can run faster and farther than myself! :)
ReplyDelete