Monday, April 26, 2010

Oklahoma City 1/2 Marathon



This past weekend was the 10th Annual Oklahoma City Marathon. I went along with a bunch of girls running the 1/2, just to watch as of course I wasn't running. Hmmm....well...my thoughts are all over the place when I think back over the weekend.

You see, at one point, I was so super excited to go on this trip. Even if I wasn't running - who cares - I still get to go on a girl trip, bunk with the girls all crammed in a room - thought that would be fun times. I even made a sign to carry and brought a cow bell and megaphone. Um, yeah, those all just got left in the hotel.

I've been to several races before that I couldn't run in - actually just last weekend I helped at a local 5K. Wasn't sad at all that I couldn't run it. But man, this one hit me pretty hard. I tried so hard to put my own feelings aside, suck it up and remember why I was there - to support Angie who was running her first 1/2. But every time I thought I had it, something would happen to make me feel like crap again.

I felt like a total debbie downer because I couldn't walk around with everyone after dinner - my knee was swelling - and I know once that starts happening it all goes downhill from there unless I ice it. So I had to just go back to the hotel and hang out by myself when everyone else was out having fun. Total bummer.

Next morning, I had a new attitude - really ready to go out there and support my running friends. Woke up with a whole new outlook and was so excited for the race. Then on the way to the start.....

I couldn't walk as fast as everyone....I mean really couldn't. I kept having to ask everyone to slow down all the time. Can you guys slow down? I can't go that fast. Can you guys slow down? I can't go that fast. Embarrassing & I felt like a pansy crybaby. Ugh.

At the start line I was the coat & camera holding girl. Pfft. I said goodbye to the girls, went to the coffee shop and pouted like a baby in a huge whole milk with whip cream mocha latte. WoW I haven't had a full fat with whip in a verrrry long time. It was goooooood.

I thought many, many times that I had made a big mistake by going and just should have stayed home. I'm only 2 weeks out from surgery - not sure what I expected - but I didn't expect to feel like such a loser. Blah.

On the upside, this is really an amazing race, for an amazing cause, I got to defer my reg fees to next year, so I'll try again next go around....and Angie ran her first 1/2, setting an amazing time of 1:59, and Penny placed 3rd in her age group. That's pretty awesome. I just hope I didn't ruin it for them by being such a cupcake.

2 comments:

  1. just read this for the first time..................i know exactly how you feel, but remember,how many people right THIS moment cannot run, and want to...or have tried to...you ALREADY have accomplished so much..... But remember, you have a LIGHT at the end of your tunnel (so many do not have :-)) So proud of you!!! Stand tall...you are almost there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzy... I know it wasn't what we expected and we thought the fun plan was to cram together for a girls night. I was happy that you were there. I was also sad that you were not running w/me. Can't wait for us to work through these injuries and get back on the road! You inspired me to run and dream big - thanks Suzy. You will get strong and fast and you will be smart on your training.

    ReplyDelete