Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Our Journey to 13

I decided I would set up a place for people to read about our journey to the 1/2 marathon. Keep in mind people....I have never been a runner....still don't really consider myself a runner! This is just meant to tell whoever wants to read this about our steps to 13 miles and our highs and lows along the way. :)

I've been keeping a running log since I started, so here goes:

May 15, 2009: Started jogging to lose some pounds--walking just wasn't doing it for me. I could only jog 1 mile without stopping.

May 31, 2009: Up to 2 miles, but still only 1 without walking. Trying a walk/jog thing now to try to build some miles.

Walking/jogging continued through June, slowly trying to build up the miles. I can't believe I actually stuck with this because it took me a whole month to get to the next point....

July 5, 2009: 2 miles without walking - milestone for the week
Total for the week of July 5: 7 miles

Hey Laura! How about we register for a 1/2 marathon? Ok crazy, let's do it!

For an October marathon training had to start July 20. To even BEGIN the training schedule, you should be able to run 3 miles without stopping. I wasn't even there yet. What the heck was I thinking? Too late now, I'm registered.

July 13, 2009: 3 miles without walking - milestone for the week
Total for the week of July 13: 13 miles

I'm not fast AT ALL....but my goal for this race is to just finish! I would love to do it with no walking at all, but I have no idea if that is possible. I'm going to give it a shot though!

FIRST WEEK OF TRAINING, NO MORE WALKING!
July 20, 2009: 3 miles
July 21, 2009: rest day
July 22, 2009: 4 miles
July 23, 2009: 2 miles
July 24, 2009: rest day
July 25, 2009: 4 miles
Total for the week: 13 miles

I'm feeling this race needs a purpose other than just to accomplish this for myself. Laura and I are considering fundraising. But what should we do it for? If you made it to this blog, you know what we decided. I now have even more motivation to run, run, run!

WEEK 2
July 27, 2009: 3 miles
July 28, 2009: rest day
July 29, 2009: 3.5 miles
On the schedule to do 4 today, tough day, feeling really tired.
July 30, 2009: 1 mile
What? 1 mile? I should have done 3 today. I don't know what's going on, I just couldn't do it. I'm feeling really discouraged. :(
July 31, 2009: rest day
Thank goodness, I just want to sleep all day. So tired!
Aug 1, 2009: 5 miles YAY!
Guess I need to listen to my body when it says it needs to rest. Came out strong today, felt great! It's back!
Total for the week: 12.5 miles

Was wondering mid week last week if I should have even considered doing this. But Saturday motivated me so much! I never thought I would get to 5. I'm treating myself to new shoes. :)

WEEK 3
Aug 3, 2009: 3 miles
Aug 4, 2009: rest day
Aug 5, 2009: 4 miles
Aug 6, 2009: 3 miles
Aug 7, 2009: rest day
Aug 8, 2009: 6 miles
WOW, that felt GOOD to do 6! Slow, but I'm fine with that!
Aug 9, 2009: rest day
Total for the week: 16 miles

I didn't have the time last week to get my new shoes I promised myself at 5 miles, so I got them on Saturday before my 6 mile run. That was a great run, felt great! Maybe it was those shoes! :) Shout out to the guys at the Running Company here in Manhattan, they were so patient helping me.

I begin week 4 this week and get nervous every time I look at the schedule for Saturday. I'm scheduled for 8. Yikes. Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment