I've been thinking about this post for awhile, thought I would do a shout out to all you mamas out there who do the craziest things to be sure you get your run in. I know so many of you out there will relate to this.
I'd love to see some comments on this post about the great lengths you have gone through to get your run in!
Here are some of mine:
One day I left my kiddo at home (she was probably 10) to go get my long run in. I had my phone, she knew the rules of staying home alone .... but I still took every step worrying. What if I'm too far away & she calls? I ran around the block again, again & again .... for 12 miles! Just so I could be a minute away if she called.
Another day I took her with me. She was just learning to ride her bike, so I took her to our football stadium so she could practice in the middle of the parking lot - while I ran the edges of the lot. This was my first 8 miler. I will never forget it. HOT. Black asphalt. Around & around for 8 miles.
Here is probably my craziest. I ran my first 10 miler ever on a track. Inside. All so I could keep an eye on my then 8 year old daughter - who sat like an angel on the side of the track playing with her nintendo & eating her snack. This isn't so crazy, but here's the kicker. That track was TINY. 13 laps per mile. I ran 130 laps that morning! Can you imagine? OMG!
I was training for my first 1/2 marathon with a friend. She had a baby boy at the time & had no choice but to take him along on her runs. Lots of moms do this. But what makes Laura crazy .... she lives in the country with only gravel roads around. And corn fields. And it's Kansas in August. Picture this with me friends - here is Laura pushing a jog stroller down a gravel road, surrounded by corn fields, 100 degrees in Kansas. I can see the buzzards circling now. LOL.
Run on my mama friends!
Monday, September 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






I guess since I started running when my kids were older (11 and 13) I don't have any crazy stories. But I do remember all of the long walk we took in the double stroller when they were 5 and 7! Yep, they still fit, barely!
ReplyDeleteSo awesome!! I find being a mommy and runner can be tough! I'm starting to learn its ok to leave the family to run.. but I have taken my one daughter ( 3.5 yr old twin) to run. I did everything on that trail to keep her going for a short 2 mile run! I even piggie backed her for a bit.. worst time ever.. but most fun run!!
ReplyDeletePicturing you piggie backing your daughter makes me giggle! :)
Delete