Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Truth Is ....
I'm barely running anymore.
Or anything else for that matter.
I have gained pounds since my marathon in Oct.
I'm not saying how many.
My hip has bothered me since the marathon.
So has my knee.
I quit the gym.
I lost contact with all of my running friends.
I feel tired.
And I know why.
I haven't been eating right.
Or sleeping enough.
Truth also is this. In the last 9 months I have:
Gotten divorced.
Sold my house.
Moved out of that house.
Downsized to an apartment.
Started a wonderful new relationship.
Ran a marathon.
Quit my job of 16 years.
Started a new job.
Moved again.
Now I didn't make these lists to have anyone feeling sorry for me or to justify my lack of running & fitness. That second list is nothing but good.
But when I reflect on the last 9 months, I see alot of big lifechanging events there. Even if they are good - they are still stress. It has been very hard to focus on running.
I have been so hard on myself for not keeping up on my running. I ran 26.2 a short 7 months ago, and 5 is my limit today - and I'm super inconsistent in pace. Now that things are settling a bit, it's time to get back on track.
So .... today is a practice what you preach kind of day. If my friend came to me today with this list, this is what I would tell her:
Start over.
You had knee surgery, started over and ran a marathon.
You've gotten it back before, you can get it back again.
It won't be easy and it won't come overnight, but give yourself a freaking break. Not an ice cream break, just a break. ;)
Today I am starting over. Tomorrow my butt will be out the door by 5:30 am to run. No excuses.
Hold me to that people! It's time to get moving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Here's to new beginnings!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! :)
ReplyDeleteYou really have been through a lot! Good for you for putting the breaks on the crazy train and moving forward with a positive outlook!
ReplyDeleteEvery day is a new chance to start over - you've got this!
ReplyDeleteGood for you Suzy!!!:) I can actually totally share the whole "out of touch with my running community" thing with you.:( Sounds like you have a plan, so that's a great place to start!
ReplyDeleteThanks Shelley! I've been missing your humor - are you still logging on Daily Mile? I am heading there now to get reconnected with all my DM friends :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't been logging lately because I have only been doing a little running as part of a circuit type work out I've been doing. I really need to work at least 1 long run back in per week I think because while I am enjoying the change, I do miss it!
ReplyDeleteAwesome job!! life does sometime get in the way of running. I can so relate to the big life changes in the past year. My running as suffered as well. For now I'm sticking to 5Ks and 10Ks...no desire for more at this point.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the greatness.