Last week, I got the dreaded cortizone shot in my knee. I was super nervous because I had several people tell me the shot really hurts....it didn't at all! The shot itself was a piece of cake. Several hours later though, well that was a different story! Ouch. Really swollen and sore. Shot was on Tuesday, today is Sunday, and it's almost 100% feeling back to normal.
The doctor told me I shouldn't exercise on it for 10 days after the shot (which I was not very happy about!) I really thought I was going to get the shot and run a few days later! Um, no.
Ok so....where does that leave me with the 1/2 marathon in OKC in April? Tick tock, tick tock the clock is not stopping and I'm running out of training time here. IF (that's a big IF) my knee is magically better after the shot, I *could* start running next Friday. I'm leaving for vacation on that day for a week (yay!), so probably not going to try to begin training on that day.
That means the first day I could actually start training would be March 7. That's a short 7 weeks out from race day. The last time I trained I did it in 10 weeks....and that was when I was super out of shape, had never run before and was 30 pounds heavier....so I'm almost wondering if I'd be able to train in 7 weeks?! I guess that is if the shot cured my plica problem. If not, it's probably surgery.
Argh! Everything is really still up in the air I suppose. I thought I decided I wasn't running OKC no matter what, because with only 7 weeks to train, there's no way I'd be able to run my best. But now I'm thinking if the shot worked and I can can get running again, maybe I'll give it a try.
Hmmm. Thought by now I'd just be ok saying "OK, I'm not running OKC." Guess I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet! :)
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment