Saturday, April 16, 2011

Awesome tunes, Treadmill 10 miler, & a Barfer

3 main things today....

1. Treadmill 10 miler.

2. Completely bearable because of my awesome new playlist, fast for me & felt great. Good tunes make all the difference. :)

3. A barfer. Let me explain that one.

I'm running along, about at mile 3 or so (just when I start to get comfortable & start feeling good) - on the TM right next to me, a guy steps on & starts running.

I can tell he's looking over at my dashboard....but I ignore. (see my post from a few weeks ago about comparing myself to others...) Anyway, I can't help but notice he seems pretty interested in my pace, so I speed it up a little. He asks "How far are you going today?" I answered "Well, I guess I'll just go until I'm ready to stop."

I knew exactly how far I was going today, 10 miler, just like my schedule says. But I'm not really much into announcing to someone next to me. Kinda just wanted to run & listen to my awesome new tunes.

He blurts out a 'bet I can run longer than you'. Oh yeah?! Let's see cowboy.

I could see him matching my pace, so I thought maybe I'd try to make it interesting .... & I kicked it up some. Now, I'm not a fast runner - I never have claimed to be, probably never will be. 8:30 is about my top pace, & I can't hold that for long. But put some competition in my face & I'm probably going to go for it.

About a mile later I can see he's hurtin' - hanging onto the TM handle, looking like he's about to fall off the back.

I started feeling a tiny bit bad for the guy at this point. Anyone that knows me knows that I love encouraging other runners - I would never want someone to have a bad running experience.

So I offered him a shot block, but he refused with an "I'm good" grunt. Not sure he appreciated that so much. Gawww. Really dude, just have the shot.

2 miles later his head was in the trashcan. He was mad, quit, had a smoothie, took a shower & there I am....still running.

This post isn't about me thinking I'm so great - lord knows there are much faster runners than me, who can run much farther. I know some amazing athletes. But dudes thinking they can beat a girl just because she's a girl? Well, I have a little problem with that one.

How about this dude - the next time you feel the need puff out your chest & try to beat the girl in pink & piggytails....you might want to consider that she could send you to the trashcan.

Yup, I waved a little 'piss off' wave as he left the gym. Seeeeee ya. LoL

9 comments:

  1. Wow, just wow. It was really nice of you to offer him the shot blok, but it sounds like he was way beyond needing a shot blok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! You go, Suzy! :)

    P.S. - I did the 5k in Wamego this morning. I registered for the 10k, but wussed out. It was wayyy too cold. I am still waiting for the official times to be posted, I think I did fairly well. Lotsa hills, you'd have been proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I guess he just learned you don't mess with girls! lol Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lame! You go, girl, you showed him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen I am SO proud of you my little racer friend! I love that you are off doing races! When are we running that 10K??? I'll do it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with a little competition. He challenged you so I say he diserved it. You were pretty fair with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzy, you do realize that was me right? LOL. J/K. Way to send that meathead through the sausage grinder. Ouch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg! I tried on a pair of ECCO Biom's at the marathon Expo in Cali, and fell in love... $195 (ouch!) so maybe I'll have to save up for a while. http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/biom/womens/running/womens-biom-b-textile-2.2/2528/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete