Sunday, February 20, 2011

1/2 Training here we go!

Ok, so it's time to get a bit more serious about 1/2 marathon training. I have Lincoln 1/2 scheduled for May 1, and up until this past week have been mostly spinning and running just kind of whenever I wanted, and for however long I wanted.

But I'm thinking I'd better get to following a plan....officially. I have a pretty tough goal (for me) for this upcoming 1/2. But I'm a little lost about what plan I should be following.

For my first 1/2 I followed marathonrookie.com, but if I go back to that - I'd be going backwards on mileage. So I wonder if I just press forward and add mileage each Saturday like I normally would in training?

For example, last week I ran 3 on Wed, 6 on Thur, 11 on Sat. I have 2 1/2 months until this 1/2 marathon. I think I could do some speed work during the week, but I have no idea what to do on my long weekend runs?!

Anyone have tips?

Oh, and here is a pic from my long run last weekend - what a beautiful, perfect day.

4 comments:

  1. I followed the FIRST training program for my last half & it was fabulous. It gave me plenty of cross train time, and really worked on my speed and form. I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Hal Higdon's Intermediate training program. My goal is to break 2 hours on May 1 at the Wichita Marathon ( a lot closer than Lincoln) But I'm encouraging a newbly halfer this go round so not sure I will meet my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd suggest slowly building your long runs up to 14-15 miles and then spend the last six weeks maintaining your long run while adding speedwork into the mix. How many days a week are you running? You could build slowly (follow the 10% rule) to a long run of 15, a mid-week run of 7-8, and a couple of 3 milers and then add in speedwork in place of one of those easy three miles when you are no longer adding distance to the other runs.

    ReplyDelete